Whether it’s your first apartment, you’re downsizing or just prefer small spaces, you may find that a studio apartment is the perfect option for you. Studio apartments are great; they are economical and push you to make wise choices about what you really need in order to live well. Studios are a minimalist’s dream, yet you still may not relish the idea of feeling that you are living day-in and day-out in your bedroom. While studio apartments are compact, there are ways to maximize the space and make the apartment feel roomy. Here are some decorating ideas to give your studio apartment the illusion and feeling of being much bigger:
- Choose light, neutral colors for the walls. Light colors reflect light, thus making whatever they touch appear bigger.
- Use mirrors to create an illusion of depth and to reflect the natural light.
- Get creative with room dividers. You can use curtains, bookcases or shelving units to break up a room and create a living area separate from the bedroom.
- Create an accent wall with paint or artwork. The eye will naturally travel there, which gives the illusion of more space. Plus, it will add a pop of color.
- Hang curtains at ceiling heights. This will add height and a touch of coziness to your space.
- Break up spaces with rugs. Rugs also will keep the floor warmer an add interest, color and texture.
- Consider a Murphy bed. Murphy beds were very popular decades ago and are making a comeback. It’s great way to keep your bed out of sight during the day and eliminates that “hotel room” feeling.
- Use pegboards for hanging kitchen utensils and save valuable counter space.
- Make use of corners. You can use corner tables for lamps or books and corner shelves for storage.
- Get creative with storage. Can the space beneath your bed serve as a dresser? Can you use an ottoman for a storage container? One key to making a small space look much bigger is to keep clutter to a minimum.
Hopefully, some of these ideas will come in handy when it comes time to move into your studio apartment. You can get as creative as you want and safe trips to thrift stores and antique malls can be great sources for unique pieces that will truly reflect who you are. And of course, you can source all kinds of cool stuff online. A studio apartment can be charming and cozy and be your safe haven no matter what life throws at you these days.
Vision Communities offers studio apartment floorplans in Central Ohio. Browse our studio apartment options, available in Westerville and Clintonville and schedule a community tour with one of our property managers. We feature multiple, pet-friendly apartment layouts, in desirable communities such as Clintonville, Westerville, and Worthington. For more information about our communities, contact our team to get started.